Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This "upside down" pizza casserole is easy to make in a hurry. You can use any ingredients you like on pizza, for example add some black olives or pepperoni to the basic recipe or take out the mushrooms. Store bought spaghetti sauce works fine; your homemade will be even better! Add a salad and you have dinner.
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage (mild or hot)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1⁄4 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce
- 3⁄4 cup flour, divided
- 1 cup mixed shredded Italian cheese
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Brown sausage, onions, garlic, green pepper, and mushrooms in a skillet over medium high heat for 6-8 minutes until sausage is cooked, stirring frequently. Drain and return sausage mixture to warm skillet.
- Stir 3 tablespoons flour into the sausage and vegetables and then add spaghetti sauce, mixing well. Bring to a boil stirring often. Pour into lightly greased 6x10 or 8x8 baking dish and top with shredded Italian cheese. A blend of Italian cheeses works well but use whatever you like or have on hand.
- Beat egg and stir in milk, oil, salt until well blended. Stir in the remaining flour and parmesan cheese and mix well. It should be pourable and not a dough like biscuits so adjust with a bit more flour or milk as needed. Pour over sausage/cheese in casserole covering the entire top evenly. Sprinkle a little more shredded parmesan cheese on top if desired.
- Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting into squares for serving.