Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 1 lb sweet Italian turkey sausage
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) loaf French bread
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato spaghetti sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded light mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Cook the links of sausage, according to package instructions, in a skillet set over medium high until they are cooked through.
- Remove from skillet and cut in half lengthwise, then in 1-inch pieces.
- Return sausage to the skillet with onion and peppers and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce and cook another 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the bread on a diagonal into 4 equal lengths.
- Cut each quarter in half horizontally, cutting through almost to the other side, but leaving both sides of bread attached.
- Open 4 pieces of bread, as you would a book, with the cut sides facing up.
- Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the cut surfaces and place breads in the oven for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the cheese melts.
- Spoon the sausage and pepper mixture onto 1/2 of each portion of bread, close the sandwiches and serve immediately.
I tried this last night and we liked it. The only thing I would do differently is put the bread in the oven for a few minutes to toast it before adding the cheese to it. That's just my preference, I like my bread toasted. Will definitely make this again.