Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
A robust main dish soup with a distinct Italian flavor, and can be made in about 30 minutes. Leftovers are even better, the next day!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb of your favorite loose Italian sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons of jarred pesto sauce (can substitute 1 TBSP dried Italian Herbs)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans Italian stewed tomatoes or 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can cannellini beans or 1 (14 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 quart beef stock
- 1 cup of uncooked elbow macaroni
- In the bottom of your best soup pot, heat up your olive oil and add the sausage, onions and peppers. When the sausage is almost completely cooked, add the garlic and the pesto (or herbs). Let it cook another minute, then add the tomatoes and tomato sauce, frozen vegetables and beans. Let this cook for about 10 minutes on medium heat. Then add your beef stock and bring back to a gentle boil and then add the macaroni. Salt and pepper to taste. If you like it spicy, you might also add a pinch of red pepper flakes. Cook another 10 minutes.