1/8 Photos of Italian Rolled Peppers With Mushrooms and Ricotta
Sue Lau's Note:
Makes a wonderful low-carb, meatless entree or can be used as a side dish for pasta, etc. Perfect for dieters and vegetarians alike.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large bell peppers (may mix colors)
- 16 ounces white button mushrooms, chopped small
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mixed Italian herbs (may use basil or oregano, etc.)
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup grated pecorino romano cheese or 3/4 cup parmesan cheese or 3/4 cup asiago cheese
- wooden toothpick (as needed)
- 1Preheat broiler in oven.
- 2Place peppers on foil on a baking sheet and place under broiler.
- 3Turn peppers as the blacken, to darken all sides.
- 4When skin blisters and blackens all over, remove from oven and place peppers in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- 5Allow peppers to sit undisturbed for 10-15 minutes to soften skins.
- 6Meanwhile, cook mushrooms in oil until soft and tender, seasoning with salt, pepper, and herbs.
- 7Drain off any excess water that releases from mushrooms and allow to cool.
- 8Mix ricotta in a small bowl with dijon mustard until smooth.
- 9Add mushrooms to this mixture (when cool) and stir.
- 10Rinse peppers under cool water (especially if they are still warm- to keep from burning your hands) and peel away loose skin.
- 11Make a slit along the side of each pepper, and using knife to cut close to the stem on the inside, remove seed cluster.
- 12Rinse pepper to remove any stray seeds.
- 13Fill each pepper with a portion of the ricotta mixture, and skewer the pepper closed with one or more toothpicks.
- 14Gently place pepper on foil on a baking sheet.
- 15Sprinkle tops of peppers with grated cheese.
- 16If you have any leftover filling (depending on your pepper's size) you may want to place this in an ovenproof ramekin and sprinkle with grated cheese as well.
- 17Broil peppers for 3-5 minutes (ramekin as well, if using), or until cheese lightly browns and filling is warmed through.
- 18Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Rolled Peppers With Mushrooms and Ricotta
Serving Size: 1 (233 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 252.3
- Calories from Fat 166
- Total Fat 18.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 30.1 mg
- Sodium 524.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 11.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
mixed Italian herbs
pecorino romano cheese