Recipe by lesliecoy
Not sure where I found this recipe - but it makes a wonderful keep on hand soup mix or a great Jar Gift Idea. Rinse beans in cold water and sort our shriveled ones. Dry on paper towels overnight. Layer beans and spices n a mason jar for a pretty presentation. Package the pasta in a separate package or jar, and add a hand-written copy of the " How To" for a great gift. or make up several jars for yourself.
Bean and Spice Mix
- 3⁄4 cup great northern bean
- 3⁄4 cup pinto beans
- 3⁄4 cup red beans
- 1⁄4 cup dried onion flakes
- 2 teaspoons instant minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried celery flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄4 cups small shell pasta (shell, bowties or ditalini)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 carrot, cho
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb ham, cubed (or Italian Turkey Sausage )
- 2 (28 ounce) cans Italian plum tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock (or 4 cups water)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large soup pot ( or crock pot ) saute carrots, celery, and ham in olive oil.
- Add tomatoes, chicken stock( or water) and bean and spice mix.
- Bring to a boil. Cover partially, and reduce heat and simmer until beans are tender.
- Cook pasta until al dente.
- To serve:.Place pasta in the bottom of bowls and spoon hot soup over the pasta. Garnish with Parmesan Cheese.