Chicken Tortilla Soup Mix Jar Gift
- Ready In:
12 cups of soup
Ingredients for Jar
- 1 cup converted long grain rice (Uncle Ben's)
- 2 - 2 1⁄2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 1 (5 ounce) can chicken
Mix the following seasonings and place in a thin zipper sandwich bag
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons powdered lemonade mix, with sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup dried onion flakes
- In a quart sized jar, place rice, pressing down carefully.
- Then add seasoning packet, making sure it can be seen from the edges.
- Then fill the rest of the jar with crushed tortilla chips.
- Close with lid.
- Tape a can of chicken to the top of jar (or if you wish, include instructions for adding a can of chicken to the instructions below).
For 12 cups of delicious Tortilla Soup:
- Carefully empty tortilla chips from jar and set aside in a bowl.
- Remove seasoning packet and also set aside.
- Pour remaining jar contents into a large pot for cooking rice.
- Add 10 cups of water, seasoning packet and one can (10oz) of diced tomatoes and green chilies.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add tortilla chips, and cover and simmer for five more minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I received this as a gift last year. I had a houseful of hunters so decided to make it up. They went through it like crazy and the next day for lunch asked for it again. It was all gone the night before so I had to find the recipe fast. I use long grain brown rice and if there is any left over the next day it is wonderfully thick, I just add a little more water and chicken broth and it is soooo very good.
Before I sent this to someone I decided to make it myself. This was so thick that it could be eaten with a fork. I do not know what I did wrong, the only thing I did not have was converted rice so I used the regular long grain white rice. All I can say is this is a great idea that I wish worked, but I suggest you make it yorself before sending it to someone as "soup". It was pretty good as arroz con pollo though. Also, beware of the "Extra Hot" variety of Ro-Tel tomatoes...VERY spicy!
see 1 more reviews