Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
The taste of this meat loaf is subtle but oh so good! A true comfort dish.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon parsley, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup romano cheese
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled, cooked, and mashed
- 1⁄2 lb ricotta cheese or 1⁄2 lb cottage cheese
- 1 cup provolone cheese, shredded
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Place ground beef in bowl with all ingredients except mashed potatoes, Provolone cheese, Ricotta or cottage cheese, and olive oil. Mix thoroughly.
- Grease 8 x 10 inch oblong or 9 x 9 inch square casserole with 2 T olive oil.
- Mix together mashed potatoes with Ricotta or cottage cheese.
- Pat half the meat mixture over bottom of casserole. Spread mashed potato/Ricotta mixture over this, but do leave at least 1/2 inch border around the edges free. Sprinkle with shredded Provolone - leave at least 1/2 inch border around the edges free. Cover with remaining meat mixture and press down edges so that potato cheese mixture does not seep out during baking.
- Drizzle with remaining olive oil and bake at 350 F for 1 hour or until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- There may be mashed potato/ricotta cheese mixture all around the edge of the casserole when done depending on how well it was sealed. You can serve this separately or serve right next to the meat loaf.