Recipe by NOOBchef
Easy, flavorful and genuine - I made it for an Italian lunch party and it was a hit ! From 365 Easy Italian Recipes by Rick Marzullo O'Connell, a great Italian cookbook. NOTE : the servings are for people as an antipasto , not as a main course.
- 2 large eggplants, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch dice (3 1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons of fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place eggplant in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Place a plate with a weight on top ( like two 1 -pound cans ) and leave to drain for 1 hour. Pat eggplant dry with paper towels.
- Preheat broiler. Brush a baking sheet with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Place half the eggplant on baking sheet and toss to coat with. Broil 3 inches from heat for 2 minutes.
- Turn eggplant and broil 2 to 3 minutes more, until it begins to turn golden brown. Remove eggplant to a large platter. Repeat with another tablespoon olive oil and remaining eggplant.
- Add garlic, mint, basil, parsley and pepper to eggplant. Toss to mix. Add remaining olive oil , toss again.
- You can cover the bowl with plastic wrap, or ( to save space, like I did before 12 hungry people came over and we has one titchy fridge ) don't use the bowl in the step above and just use a ziploc bag for tossing and storing.
- Marinate in fridge for a whole day. Serve at room temperature.