Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Chicken barbecued using this marinade is d-lish! I needed a marinade for barbecued chicken but was totally out of my quick fix marinade--Italian dressing--so I threw this together. The flavor reminds me of mouth-watering, slow-barbecued firehall/church fundraiser barbecued chicken. I used 12 medium-sized drumsticks (2 per person to serve six), but you could use any chicken pieces you prefer. Please note preparation time does not include time to marinate.
- 12 chicken drumsticks (medium-sized)
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄3 cups vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary (crushed in the palm of your hand)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage (I used rubbed sage)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 egg, beaten
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine all ingredients (except chicken) and whisk thoroughly.
- In a wide, shallow re-sealable dish, arrange chicken pieces in one layer (Note: A gallon-sized baggie could be used instead).
- Pour marinade over chicken pieces and cover dish.
- Marinate refrigerated for 2-24 hours, occasionally turning chicken pieces for full coverage.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill chicken for 20-30 minutes, turning and basting with marinade every five minutes, until cooked through. Chicken is cooked through when a fork pierced through the thickest part releases clear juice, or the internal temperature reaches 170°F.
- Serve and enjoy!
A great marinade! Other than using chicken pieces I made as posted - delicious chicken, moist and full of flavor, perfect for an Italian themed meal. Have this one set aside for our summer back yard cook outs. Made for the Auz/NZ swap.
This marinate was just wonderful! I also marinated overnight. The chicken was moist, tender with a lot of flavor! I did use thighs instead of drumsticks!
Excellant marinade - I also sometimes use bottled Italian dressing for a quick and easy marinade and this is a great alternative. The whole family enjoyed it so much, I may make it again for our 4th of July cook-out. This reminds me of a favorite marinade recipe I used years ago and lost - I'm so glad to find this one to replace it! Made and enjoyed for Aussie/NZ Recipe Swap #17.