Recipe by MarthaStewartWanabe
Chicken barbecued using this marinade is d-lish! I needed a marinade for barbecued chicken but was totally out of my quick fix marinade--Italian dressing--so I threw this together. The flavor reminds me of mouth-watering, slow-barbecued firehall/church fundraiser barbecued chicken. I used 12 medium-sized drumsticks (2 per person to serve six), but you could use any chicken pieces you prefer. Please note preparation time does not include time to marinate.
Top Review by Gerry
A great marinade! Other than using chicken pieces I made as posted - delicious chicken, moist and full of flavor, perfect for an Italian themed meal. Have this one set aside for our summer back yard cook outs. Made for the Auz/NZ swap.
- 12 chicken drumsticks (medium-sized)
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄3 cups vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary (crushed in the palm of your hand)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage (I used rubbed sage)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 egg, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine all ingredients (except chicken) and whisk thoroughly.
- In a wide, shallow re-sealable dish, arrange chicken pieces in one layer (Note: A gallon-sized baggie could be used instead).
- Pour marinade over chicken pieces and cover dish.
- Marinate refrigerated for 2-24 hours, occasionally turning chicken pieces for full coverage.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill chicken for 20-30 minutes, turning and basting with marinade every five minutes, until cooked through. Chicken is cooked through when a fork pierced through the thickest part releases clear juice, or the internal temperature reaches 170°F.
- Serve and enjoy!