Recipe by Adopted Parisian
A lovely Italian-style tart. Filled with savory pancetta -an Italian bacon, sweet caramelized onions, all in a lightly crisped puff pastry shell. Wonderfully elegant for dinner parties, brunches, showers, and more.
- 12 puff pastry shells
- 2 cups pancetta, chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon herbes de provence
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Sauté pancetta and onions in butter in a large pan over medium heat until browned and tender.
- Add flour and stir 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk. Increase heat to medium-high and boil 1 minute, whisking constantly. Remove from heat.
- Whisk yolks in medium bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in onion mixture, pepper, Herbes, and nutmeg.
- Place tart shells on baking sheet and bake until golden brown, as packaging directs. Cool slightly.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F Spoon filling (about 1/4 cup) into each tartlet. Bake until tops begin to brown, about 20 minutes. Transfer tartlets to racks and cool slightly. Remove from pans.