Recipe by Christine Bettiga
This is a great football gameor party appetizer. My husband loves them. Add sauted mushrooms and onions for a neat twist.
- 1 lb bread dough
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage (I prefer hot)
- 2 roasted green peppers (Anaheim or Poblano)
- 10 ounces spaghetti sauce (Fresh or Jar)
- 1⁄2 cup provolone cheese or 1⁄2 cup swiss cheese or 1⁄2 cup your favorite cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Make your bread dough (I use the 1b. setting on my bread maker).
- Let the bread dough rise.
- While bread is rising, make 2 flat, oblong sausage patties.
- Brown the patties in a skillet until cooked through.
- Remove from grease and place on paper towel.
- Roll your dough on a floured cutting board.
- Make two equal rectangular dough sheets.
- Place cheese on the center of each piece of dough.
- Add italian sausage.
- Top with the Pepper and a tbsp of spaghetti sauce.
- Bring up sides and close dough around the meat/cheese mixture Pinch at the top and sides to seal.
- Poke a fork on each side of dough to let steam escape.
- Bake in oven on a greased baking sheet for 20-30 minutes, or until bread dough is brown.
- Cut sandwich into pieces.
- Serve with remaining spaghetti sauce to dip sandwich in.