Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
This bread salad is adapted from Italian Classics by Cook's Illustrated. Using fresh tomatoes, mint, parsley, and oregano, plus red wine vinegar and extra virgin olive oil, you will turn a simple leftover into a flavorful delight.
- 1⁄2 lb day-old coarse peasant bread or 1⁄2 lb sturdy Italian bread, cut or torn into 1/2 to 1 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 lb tomatoes, cut into 1/2 to 1 inch cubes (2 lg vine ripened tomatoes or 4 vine ripened plum tomatoes)
- 1 tablespoon onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- sea salt
- black pepper
- Put the cubed bread in a large bowl.
- Mix the olive oil, vinegar, tomatoes, onion, and half of the herbs in a separate bowl.
- Let stand to allow the flavors to mix and develop, 10 minutes or so.
- Then pour the mixture over the cubed bread, sprinkle on the remaining herbs, and toss to mix well.
- Season with sea salt and pepper to taste.