Recipe by Kumquat the Cat's friend
Posted for Zaar World Tour 2005. Oranges and bananas are a great combo, and I like the idea of adding some sweet red wine to a fruit salad! From The Jewish Vegetarian Year Cookbook. Have not tried this recipe yet.
Top Review by mliss29
Very good! I used unsulfured apricots instead of figs, grape juice instead of wine, and didn't use any sugar. It is great and the grape juice made it a pretty color. I think it is sweet enough with the bananas and the dried fruit. Reviewed for the Veg*n Recipe Swap. Thanks!
- 8 navel oranges
- 5 figs (moist-dried)
- 2 oranges, juice of
- 4 large bananas
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup sweet red wine
- sugar, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and segment navel oranges, remove all membrane, and chop coarsely.
- Chop figs and combine with navel oranges in large bowl.
- Slice bananas and add.
- Squeeze juice from juice oranges and pour over fruit.
- Stir in raisins, walnuts and wine.
- Add sugar (if any) to taste.