Recipe by Missy Wombat
Want to get more greens into your children? Well this is the perfect cake recipe. Use any leafy green vegetable. This cake is not super-sweet so goes well with various icings. Can be made a mini-loaves or cupcakes. I freeze portions of this for school lunches.Perfect for St Patrick's Day!
- 150 -200 g spinach
- 3⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F/180 deg Celsius.
- Add spinach, olive oil, vanilla and lemon juice to a blender or food processor and blend to a puree.
- Add eggs and sugar.
- In a separate bowl whisk together flour and baking powder.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the spinach mixture. Fold together until uniform.
- Pour into greased 13"x 9" pan.
- Bake for about 30 minutes. Check with a skewer to see if fully cooked.
- Allow to cool.
- Can be eaten with whipped cream or a cream cheese icing.