Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I've used the same recipe for years but have made a few changes. I now use 1 cup of spelt flour and 1/4 cup of agave syrup for the sugar. My husband hasn't noticed I've made the changes.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup spelt flour or 1 cup another cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup agave syrup or 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 ounces melted butter
- 1 cup raisins or 1 cup currants
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degreesWhisk flour, baking soda, salt, and sugar ( if using) in large bowl.
- Mix melted butter, eggs, butter milk and agave (if using).
- Add the raisins and caraway seeds and buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture and mix lightly. Its best to uses your hands and start kneading in the bowl then turn out onto lightly floured surface. Knead about 6 to 8 times just to get it into a round shape. Don't over knead it or it will be too tough.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet and cut a cross on the top.
- Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.