Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an adaption of the popular beer bread.
- 2 tablespoons dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 (6 1/3 ounce) bottleguinness stout beer
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups unsifted all-purpose white flour
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter, to brush bread after baking
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup of warm water and 1 Tablespoon of sugar; set aside for five minutes. Heat stout, honey and margarine until warm. Add stout mix to the dissolved yeast and stir into 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in remaining flour, ginger and caraway seeds to make a soft dough.
- Shape into a ball. Knead on a floured board until smooth, about 3 minutes. Form into a round loaf and with floured knife make a cross through center of the bread. Place in a greased 8-inch round cake tin. Cover with tea towel and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes or until done. Remove from pan and brush with 1 Tablespoons butter. Cool on rack.
- The Irish Heritage Cookbook….Mercedes McLoughlin & Marian McSpiritt.