Recipe by hoda
needless to say, this is a very popular stew in iraq.it is easy,simple and delicious. it's eaten for lunch with white rice(basmati or anbar)and green salad on the side.it is cooked with lamb meat, not beef. it is very important to note that when you boil the beans you don't get them fully cooked in order to allow them to be fully cooked in the stew itself
Top Review by UmmBinat
4 1/2 stars. This was good I did add a loomi, black lime to the water. I also used sauce instead of crushed tomatoes. I used some sweet curry powder mainly and a little bahrat and no pepper. I could make this again.
- 1 cup dry white bean, soaked over-night and cooked in the morning until they are half-done
- 400 g lamb
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons corn oil (or any oil you usually use)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon curry powder (i prefer madras curry powder-product of india with green label)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- put the lamb meat in a pot, cover with water.
- bring to the boil,let it boil for about 30 minutes, lower heatand let it simmer for about 1 hour.
- in another pot, fry the onions in corn oil on medium heat until it becomes transparent.
- add the beans and tomato paste,stir for about 1 minute until the mixture is well-blended.
- add the crushed tomato and the spices and the remaining water of boiled beans (or 2 cups water).
- bring the mixture to a boil, let it boil for 15 minutes, lower the heat and let it simmer for 60-90 minutes.
- serve with rice and green salad.