1/2 Photos of Iraqi White Bean Stew
needless to say, this is a very popular stew in iraq.it is easy,simple and delicious. it's eaten for lunch with white rice(basmati or anbar)and green salad on the side.it is cooked with lamb meat, not beef. it is very important to note that when you boil the beans you don't get them fully cooked in order to allow them to be fully cooked in the stew itself
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup dry white bean, soaked over-night and cooked in the morning until they are half-done
- 400 g lamb
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons corn oil (or any oil you usually use)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon curry powder (i prefer madras curry powder-product of india with green label)
- salt and pepper
- 1put the lamb meat in a pot, cover with water.
- 2bring to the boil,let it boil for about 30 minutes, lower heatand let it simmer for about 1 hour.
- 3in another pot, fry the onions in corn oil on medium heat until it becomes transparent.
- 4add the beans and tomato paste,stir for about 1 minute until the mixture is well-blended.
- 5add the crushed tomato and the spices and the remaining water of boiled beans (or 2 cups water).
- 6bring the mixture to a boil, let it boil for 15 minutes, lower the heat and let it simmer for 60-90 minutes.
- 7serve with rice and green salad.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Iraqi White Bean Stew
Serving Size: 1 (193 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 521.0
- Calories from Fat 211
- Total Fat 23.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.3 g
- Cholesterol 97.9 mg
- Sodium 287.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.5 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 39.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: