Prep 50 mins
Cook 24 hrs
A traditional Iranian dish made for special occasions. It is similar to American potato salad, but with chicken and lots of lemon. Very refreshing. A great summer side dish. Cooking time includes setting time.
- 8 medium potatoes, boiled
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- 3 lemons, juice of
- 1 lb chicken
- 1 (15 ounce) can baby green peas (drained)
- 3 -4 cups mayonnaise (or more to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- Boil, bone and cool the chicken.
- Grate the potatoes & eggs.
- Tear chicken into small pieces.
- Mix together with mayonnaise and salt.
- Mold the salad to your personal preferences by starting out using 3c of mayonnaise and adding more.
- Do the same with the salt.
- When mold is to your liking, add lemon juice and mix.
- Cover mold with a layer of baby sweet peas.
- Let set in the ice box overnight.
- Do not eat right away or lemon juice will be too overpowering.
The salad is called "Salad Olvieh" ( comes from the russian salad " Salad Olivier")the spelling might be off since the iranian letters are different.You forgot the salt pickels. Use about 4-5 medium size finely chopped pickels ( originally salt pickeld) and mix in the other ingredients. That way the mix will stick better and you need less mayonaise. Use a dollop of Mayo to smooth down the mix on a platter or in a bowl and decorate with remaining pickels and peas ( or whatever you like). Iranian housewifes are masters in the kitchen including decorating their dishes in a big way.
This is exact how my mother made for my family meal. Yummy! Just dont put too much mayo in this dish... that is my opinion...
Umm....I didn't actually eat this. I made it & left it in the fridge. When I came home it was gone but everyone said it was awesome! Made for NA*ME Dish of the Week.