Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 min
I love making my own oatmeal mixture because I know exactly what's in it (many store-bought packets have additives), it's cheaper (every penny counts!), and I think it just tastes better. I keep a large Tupperware of this mixture in my desk at work, along with a 1/4-cup measuring cup; I give the Tupperware a quick shake before measuring out my serving. Alternatively, you could prepackage servings in sandwich-sized Ziplocs. 1/4 cup is about the same amount as the store-bought packets, so that's the serving size the recipe is based on, but I often measure out 1/2 cup portions.
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts (or dried fruit pieces)
- Combine all ingredients in a Tupperware. Store in a cool, dark place.
- When ready to serve, mix a rounded 1/4 cup of the mixture with 1/2 cup of water (or 1/2 cup mixture plus 1 cup water).
- Microwave for 1 1/2 minute (slightly longer for 1/2 cup).
This is a great blend. It's not too sweet. So I added more brown sugar to my bowl. I used raisins. thanks Robyn's Cookin' Made for All you can cook buffet
As much oatmeal as I've made over the years, I've never thought of making my own pre-made mix! This is a really good combination to have on hand for busy mornings. The only thing I think it needs is some salt...I'd start with 1/4 teaspoon. My husband likes his sweeter, so he added some Splenda too. Craisins, raisins, bananas or apples make this superb! MERP'd for PAC Spring 2011.