Recipe by mersaydees
Based on a recipe from Robin Robertson’s book, Vegan Planet. The intro to this recipe says, “Inspired by the spicy-sweet Indonesian fried rice dish called nasi goreng, this can be made using alternative ingredients. For example, omit the tempeh, use broccoli and bell pepper instead of carrot and cabbage, or garnish with bean sprouts or diced tomato instead of cucumber and peanuts. The traditional accompaniment is a hot and spicy relish called sambal, which can be found in Asian markets.”
- 3 shallots, peeled
- 1 -2 hot red chili pepper, small fresh seeded (to your taste)
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 2 cups napa cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 cup tempeh, poached and crumbled (refer to technique below)
- 3 tablespoons tamari (or other soy sauce)
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons light brown sugar, palm sugar or 2 1⁄2 teaspoons molasses
- 3 cups basmati rice, cooked and cold (or other long-grain white or brown rice, broken up into small pieces)
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and shredded, for garnish
- 1⁄2 cup dry-roasted unsalted peanuts, chopped for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- POACHING TEMPEH:.
- It’s recommended to poach tempeh before using in recipes to mellow the flavor and increase digestibility. Place tempeh in a saucepan with water to cover and bring to a simmer. Continue simmering gently for 10 minutes, then remove and pat dry.
- Combine shallots, chiles, garlic, and salt in food processor or blender and process until smooth. Set aside.
- In large skillet or wok, heat peanut oil over medium heat.
- Add carrot and cabbage and stir-fry until slightly softened, about 1 minute.
- Add tempeh, 1 ½ tablespoons of the tamari, and the sugar and cook until the tempeh is lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- Add reserved shallot mixture and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add rice and remaining 1 ½ tablespoons tamari and stir-fry to combine all ingredients and heat through, about 10 minutes.
- Serve by placing rice mixture in shallow serving bowl or on large platter. Garnish with cucumber and peanuts.