Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
I love trifles because everyone is so impressed with the way they look. This one is great for after a holiday dinner or for New Years Eve or to celebrate Tuesday. I really feel it is a festive dessert. This look very pretty in highball or cocktail glasses. I found it on Food Network.
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, halved
- 1⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 (1 lb) poundcake
- 1⁄3 cup amaretto liqueur
- 6 amaretti cookies, for garnish
- demerara sugar (to garnish)
- Place strawberries in a bowl and toss with vinegar.
- Let stand for 15- 20 minutes at room temperature.
- Check for sweetness and add sugar if desired.
- Place heavy cream in a separate large bowl.
- Whisk with electric mixer to soft peaks.
- Add vanilla and confectioners' sugar.
- Whip until stiff peaks.
- Set aside.
- Slice pound cake into 1/2 inch slices.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut out circles from each cake slice the diameter of the glass.
- Place 1 circle in bottom of each glass.
- Brush cakes with amaretto liqueur.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of marinated strawberries on each cake.
- Using a different spoon, spread a large dollop of whipped cream on strawberries.
- Add a second layer of cake and press down lightly.
- Repeat the strawberries and whipped cream.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate till needed.
- Will keep up to two days.
- To serve: remove plastic wrap, grate amaretto cookie on top and sprinkle with demerara sugar.
- Use left over ingredients in one larger bowl for seconds.