Recipe by chia
from the feb '05 issue of gourmet, this is a different presentation for kugel, as it bakes in a cupcake tin, great for portion control. UPDATE!!!!! Erindipity made this for freezer tag today, 3/08 and added this info, thanks so much-- "To freeze: I cooked as directed before allowing to cool. Wrap individulally and freeze. To serve: Place frozen kugels in a muffin pan. Add a small amount of water into the remaining muffin tins. Cover will foil and bake at 350 for approximately 20-30 minutes or until warmed through. "
Top Review by Adie
I can't believe that I've neglected to review this recipe. It is fantastic! I have made it a number of times. When I make it as written, it is very easy to freeze the leftover "kuglettes." I have also made it in a 13x9" pan which works out very well. Sometimes I add more noodles but it doesn't affect the outcome of the dish. I made a huge chafing dish of this kugel for a Temple gathering last week and people are clamoring for the recipe. A friend's daughter took some back to college and credits it with her getting all A's on her finals! Thanks Chia for a real keeper.
- 6 ounces medium egg noodles (1 3/4 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 cups chopped onions (2 large)
- 1 1⁄4 cups sour cream
- 1 1⁄4 cups small curd cottage cheese (10 oz)
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 425°F.
- Cook noodles in a 6- to 8-quart pot of boiling salted water until al dente, about 5 minutes.
- Drain in a colander and rinse under cold water, then drain well.
- Melt butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat and brush muffin cups with some of butter.
- Add onions to skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until well browned, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer onions to a large bowl and stir in noodles, sour cream, cottage cheese, and poppy seeds.
- Lightly beat eggs with salt and pepper, then stir into noodle mixture until combined well.
- Divide mixture among muffin cups and bake until puffed and golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Loosen edges of kugels with a thin knife and cool kugels in pan 5 minutes before serving.