Recipe by Sudika
Originally from the Indian state of Gujerat, a quick and easy way to use leftover yoghurt. High in vegetarian protein too!
Top Review by RecipeTsarina
Made this last week and forgot to review it. It was okay but slightly too stringent for my taste (I suppose with all that yoghurt, that's to be expected). I think maybe the water dilution in this needs to be a bit higher?
- 500 ml plain bulgarian yoghurt (thinned with 1 cup of water)
- 1⁄4 cup chickpea flour, sifted (besan)
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 2 dried red chilies (whole)
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon asafoetida powder (hing)
- 1⁄4 cup peanuts (roasted, skinned and ground)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed, roasted (jeera)
- 1 cinnamon stick (daalchini)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (sarso)
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- chopped cilantro (to garnish, coriander or dhania)
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir chickpea flour and turmeric into yoghurt. Set aside.
- Heat ghee. Add chillies, ginger, cinnamon, cumin, curry leaf, peanuts and mustard. Stir briefly.
- Add asafetida, stirrring briefly again.
- Lower heat and add yoghurt mixture and salt.
- Cook partially covered on a medium heat for 15 - 20 minutes till soup has thickened.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with basmati rice.