Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Enjoy! If your local grocery doesn't carry garam masala, you can make your own (there are several good recipes for it here.) You can also purchase it at specialty stores that carry Indian foods.
- 8 ounces broccoli, cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon shredded coconut
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- Steam broccoli for about 5 minutes. It should still be quite firm.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, add mustard seeds. Stir while they pop. When the popping has slowed turn down heat and add onion. Saute until tender.
- Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and add broccoli. Simmer until broccoli is tender. (about 5 minutes).
Good recipe .. Yummy :P :D
My standard broccoli recipe is to add lots and lots of chopped garlic and crushed red chillies. Tried this recipe today and absolutely loved it. My 2yr old liked it too. Thanks!
This was a very interesting tasting dish. I am not so sure I liked all of the seasoning and then additon of cocobut in this dish, but I am not one to like turmeric much to begin with or coconut in savory dishes also. I steamed my broccoli first as suggest by a previous reviewer, then added it to the finshed sauce. This is a great side dish if you want a change from the normal broccoli side.