Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Ishrat made this on the UK tv show,"Come Dine with Me." I made these for Super Bowl appetizers and we all thought they were wonderful. Ishrat measured everything "by feel," so please feel free to adjust all seasonings very much to taste. I was worried these might be too spicy, but they came out just right for us.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground lamb or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder, to taste (spicy kind)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala, to taste
- 2 -3 green chilies, finely chopped (seeded ot not, to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- vegetable oil, if needed (optional)
For the Raita dip
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1⁄3 English cucumber, seeded, diced finely (peeled if desired)
- 1 small red onion, finely minced (about 1/3 cup)
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon garam masala, to taste
- 3 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, chopped, garnish
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix using hands until well blended.
- Shape the mixture into about 15 small burgers and chill until ready to cook.
- Grill or pan fry using very little oil on a med/low heat so meat cooks through and doesn't just burn on outside, until burgers are done to your liking (I cooked about 10 minutes).
- For the dip, prepare no more than 1 hour before serving (or it gets watery).
- Mix together the yogurt, onions, and cucumber, adding seasonings to your taste.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve, adding the coriander leaves on top at the last minute.