Indian Fire Roasted Eggplant
- Preheat grill to medium heat or a broiler to 325 degrees F. and set an oven rack five inches below the heat source.
- Flame-char the whole eggplants on the gas grill, turning constantly until blackened and soft, about 15 minutes. Alternatively, you may roast the eggplants under the preheated broiler on a sheet pan until completely soft and lightly burnt and the skin starts peeling off, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Immerse the grilled or roasted eggplants in cold water to cool. Remove the skin and stem and coarsely chop the flesh. Set aside.
- Heat the ghee or oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the cumin and sauté until it begins to crackle, about 30 seconds. Add the onion and cook until transparent, about two minutes. Add the ginger and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds.
- Reduce the heat to medium low. Add paprika, salt and tomatoes and cook for two minutes. Add eggplant and green chili peppers and cook, stirring constantly, until soft and mushy, about four to five minutes. Stir in the cilantro and serve hot.