Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
If you don't like eggplant, you will after enjoying this spicy Indian dish!
Make and share this Indian Eggplant Curry recipe from Food.com.
- 2 large eggplants
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ginger-garlic paste (it's very easy to blend your own)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 5 chopped small green chilies
- 3⁄4 tablespoon salt
- 1 bunch chopped fresh cilantro
- Chop the eggplants into 1-inch cubes with the skins on. Boil eggplant pieces in large stockpot for about 5-7 minutes, or until soft. Drain well, set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Mix in cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Let them roast for about 1 minute or until they start to sizzle and pop.
- Stir in onion and fry for 2 minutes or until onion is tender. Add turmeric powder and fry for another 30 seconds.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, frying for about 1 minute. Stir in cayenne pepper, curry powder, and diced tomato. Cover and let simmer on low heat for about 5 minutes, or until the tomato is almost a paste (if you must, add 1-2 tablespoons of water to keep the mixture moist).
- Add salt, green chiles, and plain yogurt. Cook for 30 seconds, then add the eggplants. Cover and cook for 7-10 minutes. Mix in chopped cilantro and serve over rice.