1 hr 5 mins
This is the original out of her Back to Basics Cookbook. There are other versions out there with the ingredients adjusted and redone but this one is the real deal. The difference is that the meatballs are made with ground chicken and chicken sausage not beef or pork. A welcome change from the normal wedding soup. Ina Garten aka the Barefoot Contessa makes this traditional soup in a different yet wonderfully flavorful way. The directions look to be many but they are spread out to make it easier to make. Don't let it intimidate. After the meatballs it is simple. Perfect for those cold days and nights. Enjoy! ChefDLH
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the meatballs
- 1/4 lb ground chicken
- 1/4 lb chicken sausage, with casings removed
- 2/3 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves (1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup grated pecorino romano cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for serving (freshly grated recommended)
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 extra large egg, lightly beaten
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
For the soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion (minced)
- 1 cup diced to 1/4 inch pieces carrot (3 carrots)
- 3/4 cup diced celery, to 1/4 inch pieces (2 stalks)
- 10 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup small shell pasta, such as tubetini or 1 cup stars pasta
- 1/4 cup minced fresh dill
- 12 ounces Baby Spinach, washed and trimmed
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 2For the meatballs, place ground chicken.chicken sausage, bread crumbs, garlic, parsley, Pecorino Romano, Parmesan, milk, egg, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 tsp.pepper in a bowl and combine gently with a fork.
- 3Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. With a teaspoon, drop 1 to 1 1/4-inch meatballs onto the sheet pan. You should have about 40 meatballs.
- 4Bake for 30 minutes, until cooked through and lightly browned. Set aside.
- 5In the meantime, for the soup, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat in a large heavy-bottomed soup pot.
- 6Add the onion, carrots, and celery and saute until softened, 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the chicken stock and wine and bring to a boil.
- 7Add the pasta to the simmering broth and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until the pasta is tender.
- 8Add the fresh dill and then the meatballs to the soup and simmer for 1 minute. Taste for salt and pepper.
- 9Stir in the fresh spinach and cook for 1 minute, until the spinach is just wilted.
- 10Ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle each serving with extra grated Parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ina Garten's Italian Wedding Soup (Back to Basics / Barefoot Con
Serving Size: 1 (467 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 407.0
- Calories from Fat 141
- Total Fat 15.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 93.5 mg
- Sodium 968.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 9.9 g
- Protein 24.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pecorino romano cheese