Recipe by z.amelia
This is a simple and delicious dessert -- one of my favorites. The richness of the sauce balances well with the simple flavors of vanilla ice cream and fresh fruit. I prefer to use fresh sliced peaches or mango, but I'm sure other fruits would be delicious.
- 750 ml red wine (1 bottle)
- 1 cup sugar
- 10 peppercorns
- 1 vanilla bean
- sliced seasonal fruit
- vanilla ice cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour one bottle of red wine into a saucepan.
- Slice the vanilla bean lengthwise. (Do not substitue vanilla extract for the bean -- the flavor is not anywhere near the same or as good.).
- Add the vanilla bean, sugar and peppercorns and keep on a low, rolling boil until the liquid reduces to about a cup. (this will take around a half an hour).
- Remove from heat and allow to finish thickening.
- Pour sauce over sliced fresh fruit (I prefer peaches or mango) and all natural vanilla ice cream.
- The sauce will keep in the fridge for up to two weeks.