Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I grew up eating this. It was one of my Mom's and Grandma's "specialty".
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 2 pinches salt
- 2 packages gelatin powder, unsweetened
- graham cracker crumbs or ready-made pie crust
- Cook sugar, 1 C milk and egg yolks in double boiler 30 minutes.
- Mix knox in 1/4 C warm water- soak.
- add 1/3 C hot milk, vanilla or almond.
- Beat egg whites and whipping cream.
- Fold cooled mixture into whipping cream and then fold in egg whites.
- Butter a roasting pan and generously sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs.
- gently pour the mixture in shell and cover top with graham cracker crumbs.