Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are absolutely the greatest and go great with fried fish. This recipe is from the late Justin Wilson
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup finely chopped green onion (including the green part)
- 3⁄4-1 cup buttermilk (add slowly so you don't get the batter too runny.)
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- Combine all dry ingredients.
- Add egg, buttermilk and onions.
- Mix well.
- Drop in deep hot oil by spoonsful and brown on all sides.
Loved the flavor of the green onions in these. Really easy to make and oh so tasty. Was also able to successfully make these gluten free using my favorite gf flour mix. Thanks for posting this Nimz! Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup.
Yummo! "Excellent," agrees 8 year old Joel. He helps me make these little fellas. Sometimes I add finely chopped veggies like celery or peppers but they're just great as written here. In one sitting, Joel can eat "probably about 9" hush puppies himself, which leaves just enough for everyone else. : ) Thanks, Justin Wilson and thanks, Nimz for posting this recipe.