Recipe by YummySmellsca
I made this vegetarian lasagna for my sister when she came home from school declaring her newfound love for the dish. I knew she didn't like "chunks" in her pasta, nor does she eat many veggies in general, so I used the "sneaky" technique of pureeing zucchini, red pepper, carrot and onion into a smooth tomato sauce instead. "Smart" white whole wheat noodles and low-fat cheeses (including the dregs of a bottle of vegan parmesan) round out the rest of the layers. Makes 6 individual dishes or 1 9x5 lof pan and 2 individual casserole dishes.
- 1⁄4 large sweet onion
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 large carrot
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 tablespoons vegan parmesan cheese (or low-fat regular parmesan cheese)
- 1 pinch dried basil
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup 1% low fat cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 8 white whole wheat lasagna noodles, cooked, drained and cut into thirds
- 150 g lowfat mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a food processor, finely grate the onion, zucchini, pepper and carrot.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat and add the shredded vegetables.
- Cook, stirring often, for 5-6 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Pour in the tomato sauce and water, then add the ketchup, parmesan, basil and salt.
- Reduce heat, partially cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 40 minutes. The vegetables should be extremely soft.
- Transfer mixture to the food processor (no need to clean), add the lemon juice, and puree until smooth. Set aside.
- In a bowl beat together the cottage cheese and the egg until well combined.
- Preheat the oven to 375F and grease 6 individual casseroles.
- Place layers of sauce, noodles, cottage cheese, sauce, mozzarella, noodles, sauce, etc in each vessel, finishing with a sprinkle of mozzarella.
- Place vessels on a baking sheet and cover with foil.
- Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake a further 10-15 minutes, until browned and bubbly.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.