Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
This will "delight" more than just your husband! My son barely takes time to take a breath when I make this dish! The combination of flavors is terrific.
- 2 lbs round steaks, cut in 1/2 cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 (3 ounce) can mushrooms, with broth
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Brown steak in hot oil. Add onion and garlic and cook until golden.
- Stir in flour and remaining ingredients; mix thoroughly.
- Turn into greased casserole.
- Bake uncovered at 300 degrees for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until meat is tender – stirring a couple times.
- Serve over rice, noodles or mashed potatoes.
I made this for dinner tonight and my husband was delighted! In fact we all loved it. Being a Hungarian style dish I had to add some paprika to browning beef. I also used fresh mushrooms and added about 1/2 cup more of bell pepper. I substitued the sour cream for non-fat plain yogurt which significantly reduced the fat without changing the flavor. Creamy tangy goodness served over mashed potatos. Delicious! Thanks Bobbie!
Really good comfort food! Very yummy with mashed potatoes, garlic bread, and veggies. I left out the peppers and used quartered fresh mushrooms. Thank-you!
Good stuff! I made this for dinner last night and we were all delighted! I didn't change anything, but I did bake it for a little over 2 hours to make sure the meat would be tender enough - and it was.We had it over noodles, with rolls on the side to sop up that yummy sauce. Thanks!