Prep 2 hrs
Cook 2 hrs 45 mins
- 4 dried mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 lbs sauerkraut
- 1 apple, peel, core, sliced
- 1 (20 ounce) can tomatoes
- 5 peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups Polish sausage, Diced
- 1 cup bacon, Coarsely chopped
- 1 potato, Steamed
- Soak the mushrooms in 1/4 cup water for 2 hours.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 1/2 hour.
- Wash the sauerkraut and squeeze it.
- Add mushrooms and the liquid in which they were cooked.
- Add the apples, the tomatoes, peppercorns, and bay leaf.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Add the meat and the bacon, simmer 1 hour longer.
- It is best reheated.
- Served with steamed potatoes or rye bread.
This is the first Polish dish I cooked for my husband. He still LOVES IT, 4 years later.