Recipe by Emren
Light Jalapeno poppers from Hungry Girl Newsletter. http://www.hungry-girl.com/chew/chewdetails.php?isid=1014
Top Review by PescatariYum
i think that this would be a killer recipe. unfortunately, the jalapenos that i bought were just ridiculously too hot (and i'm a huge fan of all things spicy!!). it's really hit or miss at my grocery store. most of the time the jalapenos i pick up there are pretty tame. i'm going to definitely try this recipe again sometime. awesome filling & the fiber one works well as an alternative to frying.
- 5 whole fresh jalapenos
- 1⁄4 cup fat free cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup Fiber One cereal
- 1⁄4 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute, Original
- garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Halve the jalapenos lengthwise, and remove the seeds, stems, and membranes
- Be VERY careful when handling jalapenos; wash hands frequently and well, and avoid touching your face and eyes.
- Wash halves and dry them very well; set aside.
- Stir to combine cream cheese and cheese shreds. If desired, season cheese mixture with salt, pepper, and/or garlic powder.
- Using a blender, grind Fiber One to a breadcrumb-like consistency. If you like, season crumbs with salt, pepper, and/or garlic powder.
- Place crumbs in one small dish and Egg Beaters in another.
- Stuff each pepper half with cheese mixture.
- Carefully coat both sides of each pepper half with Egg Beaters, and then with Fiber One crumbs.
- Place peppers on a baking pan sprayed with nonstick spray, and place in oven.
- Cook for 25 minutes (for very spicy poppers) to 30 minutes (medium-hot poppers). Makes 10 poppers.