Recipe by Imagenie
I'm not sure where I got this many years ago. It's a standard in our house. You can use fresh mushrooms if you prefer. The sour cream really makes the gravy special. I serve this over cooked noodles, or boiled potatoes.
Top Review by SarasotaCook
I made this today for a lady that I cook for. I will drop it off later today. It turned out very good, of course I had to taste. I will warm it up at her place and add the sour cream there, but cooked it this am to get it nice and tender.
I used a rump roast, but went much lighter on the salt. I used about 1 teaspoon and that was plenty for me.
I also used beef broth vs water, but that didn't make much of a difference. I also used 1 can diced tomatoes and 1 sauce. But I mashed the diced a bit. I just liked a little texture. But I don't think this changed the flavor at all. I just liked the texture. Fresh mushrooms and a mix of parsnips and carrots. But again. That didn't change the overall flavor.
A bit more parsley was needed for me as was pepper. But I like seasoning, that was my opinion. Others may not feel that way. That is a personal preference
I served mine over parpadelle pasta. A crisp salad on the side makes a really nice dinner.
Thx for a very nice dish.
- 3 lbs chuck roast or 3 lbs rump roast
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 8 -10 onions, small white
- 8 small carrots, cut or whole
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- cooked small noodles or boiled potatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim excess fat from meat.
- Sprinkle meat with paprika, salt and pepper.
- Brown meat in hot oil in a dutch oven or large pan.
- Add water and bay leaf. Cover and simmer, 1-1/2 to 2 hours, or until meat is tender.
- Place mushrooms, onions, and carrots over and around the meat, pour in tomato sauce.
- Cover and simmer 60 minutes, or until vegetables are done.
- Add parsley.
- Just before serving, remove from heat and gradually stir in sour cream.
- Serve with cooked small noodles or boiled potatoes.