Prep 1 hr
Cook 25 mins
A cupcake version of a classic southern recipe
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup superfine sugar
- 1⁄2 cup safflower oil
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup mashed banana
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot
- 1⁄2 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup sweet butter, softened
- 2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- Preheat oven to 350°; place 12 paper baking cups in a muffin tin.
- In a bowl, sift flour, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- In a bigger bowl, cream the sugar and oil with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs slowly; then stir in the dry ingredients in 3 batches.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients; stir until combined.
- Spoon the batter into the cups; bake for 20-25 minutes or until test done.
- Remove pan from oven and cool for 5 minutes; remove cupcakes and cool on wire rack.
- Make the frosting: beat the butter in a bowl; add in the remaining ingredients; stir to combine.
- Smear the frosting onto the cupcakes.
- **May store unfrosted cupcakes in an airtight container for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.