Prep 40 mins
Cook 25 mins
I know there are a lot of hummingbird cake recipes here, but this one is from Taste of Home and since I didn't see it in here, I'll post it. Prep time does not include complete cooling time.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 (8 ounce) can unsweetened crushed canned pineapple, undrained
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 teaspoons half-and-half cream
- chopped walnuts (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and cinnamon.
- Add eggs bananas, oil, pineapple and vanilla.
- Beat til combined.
- Stir in walnuts.
- Pour these into three greased and floured 9" round baking pans.
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or til a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Then remove from pans to wire racks.
- Cool completely.
- For frosting, in large mixing bowl, beat shortening, butter, lemon peel, and salt until fluffy.
- Add confectioner's sugar alternately with pineapple juice.
- Beat in the cream.
- Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake.
- Sprinkle with walnuts if desired.
I only made the cake, but oh boy was it good!!!!! Moist, yummy! I used a different cream cheese frosting because I wanted the cake to be the star, and it was indeed. I substituted 1/2 cup of the oil for applesauce, and next time will shoot for half to see if it affects the consistency much. Great cake!
So I only made the frosting (I made pineapple cupcakes and wanted a similar frosting), and it turned out very nice! I forgot to add the half & half, but it still turned out good. It complemented the cupcakes very nicely, and hopefully they go over well with my co-workers. I like all of the ingredients in the hummingbird cake, so I might try that at a later time! Thank you for a great recipe!