Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Moist fruit bars makes a lot I think. So make it for a large gathering or maybe a bake sale.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups diced bananas
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup maraschino cherry, halved
- 2 eggs (slightly beaten)
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple (undrained)
- 1⁄4 cup butter (softened)
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon warm milk
- Heat oven to 350°F; grease and flour 15x10x1-inch jelly roll pan.
- Put flour into large bowl.
- Combine all ingredients and stir until well blended.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until center of toothpick comes out clean.
- For glaze: In small bowl combine all ingredients adding enough milk for desired consistency.
- Spread and let cool completely.
- Then cut into bars.
Mmmmm, delicious! These were extremely easy to make and I plan on using this recipe to teach little ones some cooking skills. Although the recipe title is "bars", I found this to be more cake-like, but it might have been because I halved the recipe and used a 9 inch square pan. So they are a bit thick for bars and I had to cook longer than the recipe called for. Still, since it's only two of us, half the recipe is the perfect size! I used a very ripe, fresh pineapple instead of canned. No nuts because I can't eat them. :-(. Reduced the sugar (its PLENTY sweet with all the fruit!!). And subbed baby-food applesauce for 1/3 the oil. Thanks for posting a keeper of a recipe - it's going straight into my All-Time-Favorites! Made for My 3 Chefs 2013.