Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
A Togloese seafood dish taken from World Cuisine Recipes.com and posted for ZWT7
- 44.37 ml palm oil
- 550 g tomatoes, blanched, peeled, de-seeded and chopped
- 2 medium onions, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4.92-9.85 ml finely-diced habanero chili
- 4.92 ml fresh ginger, minced
- 44.37 ml peanut butter
- 160 ml smoked prawns, finely minced
- 453.59 g plump oyster, shucked
- 250 ml fresh lemon juice
- 4.92 ml garlic powder
- 360 ml flour
- 9.85 ml cayenne pepper
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- peanut oil (for deep frying)
- lemon wedge (to garnish)
- Heat the palm oil in a non-stick frying pan over low heat.
- Add the tomato purée and fry for about 10 minutes then add the onions, garlic, chilli and ginger and cook for 5 minutes further.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Stir-in the peanut butter and add the smoked prawns just before serving.
- For the oysters: place the shellfish in a plastic bag and mix with the lemon juice and garlic powder. Toss to coat and allow to marinade for 15 minutes.
- Drain and reserve the oysters. Meanwhile combine the flour, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Toss the oysters into the flour mixture and mix well.
- Deep fry the oysters in oil for 3–4 minutes then drain on paper towels.
- Serve 4 oysters per person, accompanied by a small ramekin of the chilli sauce and a lemon wedge.