Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
I have had this recipe in my files for a quarter century! Makes a very tender roll. Prep time does not include overnight in refrigerator.
- 1 cup fresh mashed potatoes
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 cup tepid water
- 1⁄4 cup unmelted shortening
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 6 cups all-purpose flour (divided)
- melted butter
- While preparing mashed potatoes, mix yeast with tepid water.
- Mash potatoes thoroughly and add shortening, sugar, salt and then beat together.
- Add cold water and let stand until tepid or cooler.
- Add dissolved yeast and water, mix thoroughly.
- Add 2 eggs beaten in 1/2 cup cold water.
- Stir up mixture.
- Then add 2 cups all-purpose flour.
- Mix thoroughly and let sit in warm area covered with a dry cloth until batter doubles and bubbling.
- Stir down and gradually add 4 more cups of flour, stirring in one at a time.
- Cover with dry cloth until double in size.
- When double, stir down again and put in refrigerator covered with a damp cloth.
- Leave in refrigerator at least overnight.
- Stir down before using and then take out what dough you need and return the balance to refrigerator, covered with damp cloth.
- Dough will keep in refrigerator one week.
- Stir down each time before using.
- To Prepare each batch: Grease muffin tin generously with shortening.
- Use enough dough to half fill muffin cup.
- Let rise until double in size.
- This may take an hour or more, but the important thing is that they double, no matter how long it takes.
- Brush rolls with melted butter before baking for a nice crust.
- Bake approximately 25 minutes in preheated 350°F oven.