Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
We like this for a quick weeknight dinner
- 1 piece 6 inch fat-free whole wheat pita bread
- cooking spray
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (16 ounce) can red beans, drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons green onions, sliced
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup salsa (optional)
- Separate pita bread into 2 rounds; cut each round into 8 wedges. Place wedges on an ungreased baking sheet; coat wedges with cooking spray. Combine basil, garlic powder and cumin; sprinkle over wedges. Bake at 400F for 5 minutes or until crisps and lightly browned. Remove chips from baking sheet and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Combine beans, tomatoes and green onions in a saucepan. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside; keep warm.
- Add water to a large saucepan to a depth of 2 inches. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and maintain a light simmer. Break eggs, one at a time, into water. Simmer 7 to 9 minutes or until internal temperature of egg reaches 160°F Remove eggs with a slotted spoon.
- To serve, arrange pita wedges around the edge of each individual serving plate; top evenly with bean mixture. Top each serving with an egg. Spoon 1 tablespoon of salsa over each serving. Serve immediately.