Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
The official recipe for the apple pie served on January 20, 2013 at the luncheon following the second Obama Inauguration
For pie dough
- 6 ounces butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 ounces sugar
- 1⁄2 lb flour, all purpose
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 egg (?)
for apple filling
- 1 lb apple, peeled, cored and sliced thin
- 3 ounces sugar
- 1⁄4 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- Pie dough:.
- In a mixing bowl for a mixer, cream the butter and sugar until mixed well. Fold in egg.
- Combine the flour and salt and fold into the butter mixture.
- Add the water 1 teaspoon at a time until the dough "pulls together".
- Wrap dough tightly in plastic wrap and allow to "rest" in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour (this can be made up to 2 days in advance).
- Portion dough into 10 equal parts and roll out thin, approximately 1/4 inch thick and place in individual metal ring mold or aluminum pie shells.
- Combine sliced apples,mustard, cinnamon, cornstarch and vanilla in a mixing bowl.
- Layer the apples into pie dough until apples are piled higher than the sides of each pie shell (the apples will drop as the pies bake).
- Top each pie with Cinnamon Crumble (recipe featured separately on Food.com) and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- Note: this can be made as one pie. It will probably need to bake for a total of 1 hour.