48 hrs 5 mins
Simple and good for ya! Use this recipe to make hummus, also great in salads and any recipe you would use beans for. Cooking time is sprouting time. Some benefits of sprouting: Nutrients increase their concentration: proteins by about 20%, nucleic acids by 30%, and many vitamins by as much as 500%(!) High enzyme activity stimulates the body’s own enzymes into greater activity, giving you more energy Sprouted seeds are easier to digest since complex carbohydrates break down into simple sugars, and proteins break down into amino acids; both are easier for the body to process and promote our ability to absorb minerals in the food Seeds use energy to grow a sprout; therefore, sprouted seeds have fewer calories than in their whole form Sprouts have a number of anti-cancer properties. The other benefit is that it’s one more way you can incorporate raw foods into your diet. Eating raw gives me more energy, is cleansing (the improved digestion is no joke!). I adapted this from Sprint2the table.
My Private Note
- 1Rinse 1/2 cup of dried chickpeas and place in a wide-mouth container.
- 2Cover chickpeas with water, then cover the container with cheese cloth or other mesh, secure with a rubber band or tape, and let soak for 24 hours.
- 3Drain and rinse the beans through the cloth, then drain again.
- 4Store the jar out of direct sunlight at room temperature atop a kitchen towel. Lay the jar on its side with the bottom propped up so that excess water drains onto towel.
- 5Rinse and drain the chickpeas once every 8-12 hours for 36-48 hours (depending on how large you like your peas). The tails should be about 1/4 inch long.
- 6Rinse and drain once more, and allow sprouted chickpeas to air dry. To store, place then in a container or plastic bag and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for How to Sprout Chickpeas
Serving Size: 1 (100 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 182.0
- Calories from Fat 27
- Total Fat 3.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 12.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 9.6 g