Recipe by I Cook Therefore I Am
My very own Southwestern take on that classic Italian appetizer that everyone seems to love. I thought this one up one night when I wanted bruschetta but only had cheddar cheese. I think it's pretty good!
Top Review by pattikay in L.A.
Just wonderful - I had a bunch of leftover homemade hoagie rolls and wondered if I could use them for something exactly like this and they were a big hit. I used canned diced tomatoes with garlic and then added in some chopped jalapenos and chopped black olives. I put the tomato mixture on top of the refried beans and then topped with cheese before putting them in the oven. Delicious!
- 1 loaf sourdough bread or 1 loaf French bread
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup refried beans
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl mix together tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, garlic, and cumin, reserve.
- Slice the loaf of bread into 1/2 inch slices.
- spread the bean dip on each piece.
- Arrange the bread on a cookie sheet and sprinkle with the cheddar.
- Place the bread in the oven until cheese is just melted over the top.
- Spoon the tomato mixture over the toasted bread slices and serve.
- I like to garnish these with a small dallop of sour cream and a couple cilantro leaves.