Recipe by Eliza S
This recipe is from Semi-Homemade Cooking with Sandra Lee. My husband and I enjoyed them. They probably wouldn't be a very big hit with kids as they are quite spicy. Serve them hot with vanilla ice cream.
- 12 tablespoons chocolate frosting (preferably a "creamy triple-chocolate chip fudge" brand)
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 18 ounces chocolate cake mix (a "moist dark" brand)
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons canned jalapeno peppers (finely chopped)
- 3 tablespoons water
- nonstick cooking spray
- cocoa powder (optional for dusting)
- vanilla ice cream (optional but HIGHLY recommended to serve)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wet your hands with cold water. Scoop out 1 tablespoon of frosting and form it into a ball with your hands. Place ball on a cookie sheet and continue until you have 12 balls. Place frosting balls in freezer for 2 hours to allow balls to firm up.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat the butter and brown sugar until it is light and fluffy. Add the cake mix, egg, cinnamon extract, cinnamon, jalapeno and water and beat on low speed for 30 seconds until combined. Scrape down the bowl and beaters with a rubber spatula. Beat an additional 2 minutes on medium speed, scraping the bowl occasionally. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it sit for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray cups of Texas-size muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray. Drop 2 tablespoons of batter into the muffin cups. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and place the frosting balls into sunken cupcakes. Top with an additional 2 tablespoons of batter. Smooth the batter to cover the frosting balls. Return the pan to the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Cool cupcakes in the pan for 10 minutes. Using a knife, loosen the sides of the cakes and invert the pan onto a cutting board. Place the cakes right side up on individual plates, dust with cocoa powder, and serve immediately with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.