Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Very easy fast meal to prepare. Sauce is not thick like spaghetti sauce but meant to be thin and soupy. The more peppers you use, the hotter it is. Serve with garlic bread to soak up the juice with your meal and a nice green salad to round the meal out. Add more or less spice, peppers, onion and garlic to your taste. The more garlic and onion the better. Add sliced spicy Italian links if desired.
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 2 (28 ounce) cans Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 1 head garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- serrano pepper (to taste, the more you use, the hotter the sauce)
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage link, cooked according to the package instructions (optional)
- Melt butter in a large frying pan.
- Add onion and garlic, cook until done but not brown.
- Add both cans of tomatoes, spices, mushrooms, wine, meat (if using) and peppers to the onion and garlic mixture; simmer while pasta cooks and until peppers are dark green.
- Cook pasta according to instructions; drain well.
- Serve sauce over penne.
I had this first at Morti's house while Alicia and I stayed with her just after moving to California. She is allergic to pork, so it didn't have meat in it but was still so delicious that we have it often now that I have my own home. Alicia and I like the sliced spicy intalian sausage links added in. This is a very popular meal in our house now. Great for a weeknight because it is so easy and quick to prepare. Try sprinkling some fresh shredded parmesan cheese over the top.
My DH and I really enjoyed this. It's easy to make and very tasty. I cooked it all in one pan (except the pasta)...cooked and drained the sausage then added the veggies and spices then added the tomatoes and wine. I left out the butter. We'll certainly make this again.
This really rocked! Really, really loved this dish, and so easy to throw together. I halfed the recipe and used 3 serrano peppers. Made this without the meat, and it was perfect! Did not add the wine, since I was out, and subbed the butter for olive oil. Served this with garlic bread....yummy for our tummies! Thanks for posting!