Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 10 ounces extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (more or less)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red onion
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon hot mung bean paste or 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon szechwan chili sauce or 1⁄2 tablespoon any hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 5 white mushrooms, sliced
- 3 ripe plum tomatoes, peeled and chopped coarsely
- wakame seaweed (dried seaweed) (optional)
- ramen noodles (optional)
- Press the water out of the tofu.
- Wrap the tofu in plastic wrap, and put the tofu in the freezer overnight.
- Remove the tofu from the refrigerator and let thaw in hot water.
- Cut tofu into small 1/2-inch square cubes.
- In a large soup pot, heat up the oil; add tofu and stir around until tofu is brown on the edges (10 minutes). Add onion, garlic and 1/2 cup of stock. Stir until vegetables are soft - about 10 minutes).
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer on low for 30 minutes.
- Add cooked noodles prior to serving.
Excellent. I don't like mushrooms so I subbed in celery and diced some cherry tomatoes. This was our first tofu experience and it was a winner! btw I did this without the freezing overnight. No change.