Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and caps thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil or 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or 1 teaspoon chili oil
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 2 cups coleslaw mix or 2 cups shredded napa cabbage
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- In a large pot, saute mushrooms and garlic in hot oil over medium heat for 4 minutes, stir frequently.
- Add in broth, vinegar, soy sauce, and red pepper flakes; stir; bring to a boil.
- Add in chicken and cabbage; lower heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- In a little bowl, add the cold water and cornstarch; stir to combine.
- Add to the soup; simmer for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat; stir in sesame oil.
We loved this. We actually subbed tofu for the chicken. This is a great diabetic friendly soup.
This is a good soup recipe. I did add in some tofu, bamboo shoots and baby corn, but otherwise followed your recipe. Very good. I will make again, as its a simple hot and sour soup recipe. Thankyou for sharing with us.
This was great! Will definitely make this again very soon.