1 hr 20 mins
Jerry Albert's Note:
This chili is an adaptation of the chili my dad used to make... with the main difference being the octane level. While this chile is hot, it is not unbearable and the heat can be tempered by serving with fresh french baguettes or tortilla chips. This chili is hearty, dark, and spicy- perfect for watching football on those cold winter afternoons.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 4 -5 thumb sized red hot peppers, seeded and cut into strips
- 4 -5 jalapeno peppers, seeded and cut into strips
- 3 habanero peppers
- 1 (16 ounce) can chili beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon basil
- salt and pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle dark beer (Sam Adams, Pete's Wicked, any dark ale, porter or stout will do)
- 1First brown the ground beef in large saucepan, add onions and garlic when beef is about halfway done.
- 2Be sure not to burn garlic.
- 3Drain grease when meat is done.
- 4Add 1 1/2 cans crushed tomatoes (saving 1/2 can for later), and the stewed tomatoes.
- 5Add both cans of beans, draining most, but not all sauce.
- 6Add bell, red and jalapeno peppers.
- 7Puncture habeneros with a knife and throw into pot whole.
- 8Add spices to taste.
- 10Pour beer into mixture.
- 11As it cooks, add remaining crushed tomatoes if needed to thicken to desired consistency.
- 12Simmer uncovered for one hour, stirring occasionally.
- 13When done serve with grated Monterey jack or hot pepper cheese over thick sliced baguette or tortilla chips.
- 14Garnish with fresh parsley.
- 15Eat habeneros only if you dare!
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hot and Hearty Ohio Chili Con Carne With Beans
Serving Size: 1 (412 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 341.6
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 58.9 mg
- Sodium 589.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 26.9 g