Recipe by Jerry Albert
This chili is an adaptation of the chili my dad used to make... with the main difference being the octane level. While this chile is hot, it is not unbearable and the heat can be tempered by serving with fresh french baguettes or tortilla chips. This chili is hearty, dark, and spicy- perfect for watching football on those cold winter afternoons.
Top Review by Sara Lee
This was my first attempt at chili, and it was great! It produced the desired effect (liked by my boyfriend better than his mom's recipe!). I used half the hot peppers, half the beer (Sam Adams), and used Rotel tomatoes instead of stewed, and it was perfect. Many thanks..
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 4 -5 thumb sized red hot peppers, seeded and cut into strips
- 4 -5 jalapeno peppers, seeded and cut into strips
- 3 habanero peppers
- 1 (16 ounce) can chili beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1⁄2 tablespoon basil
- salt and pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle dark beer (Sam Adams, Pete's Wicked, any dark ale, porter or stout will do)
Directions See How It's Made
- First brown the ground beef in large saucepan, add onions and garlic when beef is about halfway done.
- Be sure not to burn garlic.
- Drain grease when meat is done.
- Add 1 1/2 cans crushed tomatoes (saving 1/2 can for later), and the stewed tomatoes.
- Add both cans of beans, draining most, but not all sauce.
- Add bell, red and jalapeno peppers.
- Puncture habeneros with a knife and throw into pot whole.
- Add spices to taste.
- Pour beer into mixture.
- As it cooks, add remaining crushed tomatoes if needed to thicken to desired consistency.
- Simmer uncovered for one hour, stirring occasionally.
- When done serve with grated Monterey jack or hot pepper cheese over thick sliced baguette or tortilla chips.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.
- Eat habeneros only if you dare!